Friday, September 5, 2008

Halloween 2008, or rather, Dia de los Muertos 2008









I'm a little late getting started with the planning for this year's big Halloween party. I wasn't sure I was even going to have a party this year - too many things going on. But when a friend pointed out that I should have the party on Nov 1, I realized it could be a Day of the Dead party instead. That was pretty much all the inspiration I needed and for the past couple weeks have been having a great time searching for all things Day of the Dead.

Top picture - Started to pick up misc decorations. Gotta have lots of marigolds and calacas (those cool little skeleton dudes). I'll be building a huge ofrenda (altar), and my philosophy there is more is more.

2nd picture - I dug deep into the depths of my storage shed to find an old puppet theater I built maybe 10 or so years ago. Depending on my time, I want to turn it into a big eleaborate nicho, and fill it with happy calacas. It's actually in better shape than I thought it would be. I didn't remember the curtain. Probably have to take that out.

Last picture - Results of failed craft experiment. I had some of these foam skulls, so I painted two with gesso and started putting patterns on one. I think instead I'm going to cover the skulls with paper mache. I want to fill in the eye and nose holes a bit, and make the shape a little more stylized.

So that's the start. I'll post here and there over the next two months as I manage to squeeze in a little craft time.

No comments: